3/27/11

Healthy Pasta Bake


As our first home cooked meal here in Singapore, I wanted to make a lasagne/pasta type dish.  The cost of the ingredients at the store totaled almost $76.00 SGD, but 
I don't really care...it tasted like home...worth every bite!

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago on trainer momma and altered it a little bit.

So here's the 'JANE' version...lotsa veggies and tons of flavor.
Healthy Pasta Bake

1 (1-pound) package uncooked ziti
1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage links
2 chopped onions
1 zucchini 
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans petite-diced tomatoes or real tomatoes
1 cup chopped fresh basil
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded fresh buffalo mozzarella cheese
1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh parmesan cheese


Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook pasta according to package directions.
Cook sausage (be sure to remove from casings), onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat until browned.  

Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms and bring to a boil. 

Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil. Place half of the pasta mixture in a large casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan. 

Repeat layers.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.





 Finished Product:

 My attempt to set the table for our "special" home-cooked meal...
I even bought lemon Perrier!

Isn't this view fabulous?
I love eating my breakfast, lunch and dinner outside on our porch.
The Singapore skyline never gets old!

2 comments:

  1. looks like a dream!! you take great pics and the food is picture-perf!
    and that view?! man...get me there stat. JEAL!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this last night while the guys were at Priesthood and it was a hit! The guys came back and finished off the pan. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete