I know Jane and Liz are shocked to see me posting...it's a miracle. But I have to share my favorite food right now. Mom gave me the subscription to Cook's Illustrated this year for my birthday. I usually find one treasured recipe and this is it for the last month. I have seriously made it about 10 times in the last month. Since my kids and hubby don't really like squash, or veggies for that matter, I save the leftovers to put in my salads for lunch the next day!
Brown Sugar-Glazed Butternut Squash
Serves 4-6
(we like the deeper flavor of dark brown sugar, but light brown sugar can be substituted)
1 butternut squash (about 2 1/2 lbs), peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1 inch chunks (*Much easier if you buy the squash already cut!)
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 Tbls unsalted butter, melted (I usually reduce this to about 2)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tsp cider vinegar
1. Prepare Pan. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat lightly with cooking spray.
2. Roast. Toss squash with sugar, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well coated. Transfer squash to prepared baking sheet. Roast, stirring every 15 min, until squash is well browned and completely tender. (In my oven, it only takes about 15 min, but I have made this in Amanda's Midway oven where it took about 1 hour, so every oven is very different--just watch till tender) Remove pan from oven and sprinkle squash with vinegar and stir to coat. Serve.
ENJOY!
Oh my word kate! I'm speechless Because you posted and also because this sounds like the perfect squash combo!! I can't wait to try it next week when I get back to sf...
ReplyDeleteKeep Posting!
My kids eat this squash like it is candy! (It sort of is w/ that butter and brown sugar :)
ReplyDeletekatrina! made this tonight! SO yum. already excited for tomorrow's leftovers! thanks for posting! keep it up, since you kinda are the queen of the kitch!
ReplyDelete