1/11/12

zucchini & bacon quiche



I took some quiche to a shower tonight...
"cutie pie" was the theme.
Her idea. She's so creative with a cute blog.

We wanted sweet and savory pies.
She made an ice cream Oreo pie and little individual apple/lemon meringue pies. Adorable.
I did quiche and corn pie.

I'm pretty sure this quiche tasted great. 
I mean really...heavy cream, swiss cheese, whole milk, bacon....?

But husband called the second I got to the shower with an emergency at the hospital so I jetted.

Ah well.


zucchini & bacon quiche

4-5 slices bacon, uncooked or precooked, chopped
2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise, then sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/4 teaspoon pepper
3 eggs
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown uncooked bacon pieces until crispt. If using precooked bacon, cook bacon over medium heat for 1 minute, or until bacon releases some fat and crisps. Remove bacon to a paper towel to drain. Leave just enough fat to coat skillet, draining excess. Add zucchini to skillet with salt. Saute for 5 minutes or until zucchini begins to brown. Turn off heat and set aside.


In a bowl, whisk together cream, milk pepper and eggs. Stir in zucchini (along with any juices from the pan), bacon and cheese. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-50 minutes, or until center is set. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. wow, i've never tried anything like this besides quiche. it looks yummo--especially for a breakfast type shower or even for christmas morning because it's so similar to that egg/bacon ham casserole. i'm proud of you for branching out and trying something new.

    sorry you didn't even get it eat it you poor lil' thing!

    ReplyDelete